“The Hills” of Puslinch
In 1906, Mr. W. H. McKenzie undertook a very large literary task, a historical review of Wellington County, dating back to its settlement, which was published in segments in the Guelph Mercury newspaper over an extended period of time, and which has become a landmark historical work. In his endeavour, Mr. McKenzie solicited and received contributions from many people who were particularly knowledgeable on specific sections of the county.
“About one mile
from the village of Arkell, in a north-easterly direction, a ridge of
elevated land crosses the 9th and 10th Concessions, which had acquired the
name of “The Hills”, in contradistinction to the lower and more level land of
the “Puslinch Plains”. A short time
after the settlement of “The Plains”, a small colony
of hardy pioneers from the
The natural features in this section must, of necessity, have called for greater physical exertions on the part of the settler than in its immediate neighbourhood. In addition to the removal of the forest, there were large blocks of various kinds of stone scattered over its surface. Inheriting the pugnacity and determination of the Briton, those obstacles were at length removed, and, at a later time, became valuable as material for the erection of their dwellings et cetera. As a compensation for the extra labour in clearing, the soil proved to be rich and deep and excellent for wheat and other crops.
Thus, within the space of time allotted to man, has the face of nature been subdued, in accordance with the divine commandment laid upon man at the beginning. All of these old pioneers have now passed away from the scene of their labours, and the place thereof knows them no more, and a younger generation is enjoying the fruits of their labour. Such are the changing scenes of that which we call life.”
◄ end of document ►