August 29th 1893.
notes----The Sunday School picnic in connection with this church was held in
the Callfas grove, on our lake, Saturday afternoon. A more satisfactory day could not have been
had; the weather was warm but an over-clouded sky, along with the deep shade
cast by the magnificent trees of the grove, made it delightfully cool. There was a goodly attendance, ample
amusement in the shape of rowing, croquet, football, and numerous very high
swings, overlooking the steep embankment; among the latter, a very curious
one, invented by Messrs. Huether and Elfner, which caused much amusement
among the grown-up, and afforded great enjoyment to the wee-tot, being built
on four high wooden supports, with two heavy iron crossbars, from which
suspended four pieces of wood, on which was suspended the body of the now
famous carriage of the late Colonel Leslie.
There were, at times, 16 or 18 small ones in it.
Of refreshments, there was an
abundance. An ice cream counter was
also fitted up, which was waited upon by four very estimable young ladies who
were chaperoned by another young lady of very high degree, who took goodly
care of the cash receipts, which amounted to the sum of $12.00 in the good
An error was made last week on
stating that quarterly meetings would be held the first week in
September. The Pastor C. S. Finkbeiner
leaves this week for Campden,
Ontario, to take part in
quarterly meetings there; thus the mistake.
There will be no service in the church on Sunday morning, but an
evening service, in English, will be conducted by Reverend Rife, of Hespeler.