Lean gu dluth ri cliu do shinnsre
(Follow closely the fame of your fathers.)
The present Badenoch Community Centre
“The Rock Whence We Were Hewn”
In 1831, Donald McLean, Peter Grant, Donald Martin, John Kennedy, and Mr. and
Mrs. Alex McBain sailed from Greenock near
Donald McLean chose Lot 31, F. Con. 9. Peter Grant chose Lots 29 and 30, R. Con. 8.
They built a shanty on
In 1833, the Peter McLean, John Clark, and Kennedy families arrived. These were followed, in the same year, by more friends and relatives, and in the next few years most of the lots were taken up.
Within a few hundred yards of the spot where this picture was taken, the emigrants of the 1830’s built a memorial cairn before leaving their native land for Canada.
2nd Battalion of Militia for 1837
From an old list preserved by Wm. Leslie, grandson of Wm. Wade Leslie of Puslinch, we find the names of the following Badenoch men‑George McLean, John MacEdward, Wm. Martin, Alex Watson, Duncan MacEdward, John McLean, Donald MacEdward, George McLean, Peter McIntyre, James MacEdward, Alex McLean, Duncan Martin, Robert Clark, Angus Clark, Robert Kennedy, Robert Forbes, Lauchlan Kennedy, James Martin, James Martin Jr., Charles McCrea, Thomas 0’Rourke, James Gordon, John McDonald, Angus McLean, Alex Kennedy, James McDonald, Allan McDonald, John Little, Duncan Campbell.
Lt. Col. Wm. Nicoll was prominently associated
with the 11th Field
The following men returned from active duty:
The following fought for our country during the war of 1939‑1945:
Alexander McLean gave up his life for his country.
In 1945, on the return of the forces from Overseas, a banquet and presentation was held in their honour at the Township Hall, Aberfoyle.
On June 3, 1949, a Memorial Service was held at the Monument in the Township grounds, Aberfoyle, for those who served and died in the 1939‑1945 World War.
Specifications of School House of District No. 9, Puslinch
School house 18' square to be hewn inside and well plastered inside and outside with lime. Floored with 1¼ " flooring, the floor to be laid tongue and groove or matched, but not planed. Writing desk for school house 12' long, ordinary height and breadth, also two benches 12' long. Suitable writing desk three forms for sitting 6' long.
A desk for teacher with lock and key and a stool to sit on. Three windows of 12 lights each 8" x 10" to be set horizontally, one window on each side and a door at the rear with a strong lock and key. The house to be well shingled and the roof to be what is called a pavilion roof. The ceiling to be closed with lath. The work to be finished in a workmanship manner and to be passed by competent judges when done. Twenty‑eight dollars to be paid as soon as the job is finished, and the rest as soon as the section is taxed by the Council and the cash got from the treasurer. To be finished on or before the 7th day of August, 1843.
This school was built on
Petition‑Prior to 1850
Several residents of Rear Con. 9 and Con. 10 signed a petition to the Municipal Council of Wellington District (Puslinch Council still has this petition), requesting help in completing the 10th Concession road for the convenience of the residents and as a preliminary to having the new school house built on the 10th Concession as this would be more central.
Committee to Examine a New School Site ‑ May 20, 1850
A special committee appointed to examine the school site in S.S. No. 9 reported that after carefully examining the situation of the present school house they would recommend that the new school be built as near the centre of the said school section as practicable so that all parties may have, as near as possible, an equal distance to travel to said school and that said school section be assessed this year for building a new school house as the present one is altogether too small to accommodate the number of pupils attending it. But your committee would further recommend that action on the matter be postponed until after the present session of Parliament as a new school bill will likely be passed, which may affect the matter very materially.
By‑Law No. 12
On June 18, 1850, a by-law was passed taxing S.S. No. 9, Puslinch, the sum of £50 for building and furnishing a new school house.
Shortly after 1850, a new frame school was built on
After 1850, the Township Council had control.
In 1898, Badenoch was looking after its own school affairs.
1948, several of the schools joined together to form the
According to an old school record of 1880, there were 93 pupils on the roll. Mr. Jas. E. McLean was the teacher.
The present stone school was built in 1889, on the same lot directly behind the frame school. It has been remodelled and modernized.
This school was closed in December of 1964 and the beginning of 1965 saw the children transported by bus to Aberfoyle. The following October the school was taken over as a Community Centre.
James E. McLean
R. M. McLean
R. S. Smith
Beginning of Presbyterianism
Mr. Thomas Wardrope
1834, Mr. Thomas Wardrope, a licentiate of the Church
of Scotland, settled in Badenoch on
Rev. William Meldrum 1840-1852
In 1839, the congregation began to
look for a pastor, but they were few and the fields many. Mr. James Gordon, who
lived in the lower end of Badenoch, was acquainted with and recommended Wm. Meldrum, who had just completed his college course
He was ordained by the Presbytery of
1845, he secured a farm,
Alexander McLean helped build the corners of the first church. Donald McLean and Alexander Nichol were on the first cemetery board. In 1838, Donald McLean was appointed Vice‑President, and Lauchlan Kennedy, Secretary of the Presbyterian Association, really the first board of management. James Gordon recommended Rev. William Meldrum for the first minister. Lauchlan Kennedy was one of the first elders and a member of the Session for almost 60 years. He was the first precentor in both Gaelic and English. He held this position for 44 years. When nearly 90 years of age, he still led the singing at the Gaelic Communion Services. James McLean was appointed Treasurer of the board in 1863 and held this office for 30 years.
When Mr. Meldrum was
pastor of the congregation, and lived in Badenoch at the home of Mr. Peter
McLean, he used to invite the people for Sabbath instruction after the regular
service of the sanctuary. Although there
was no formal organization, these Sabbath classes may be regarded as the origin
John Elliot was the local shoemaker. He lived on
The Blacksmith Shop:
A blacksmith shop on the corner of
Hugh Fraser was here in 1891.
There were sawmills on the following lots:
A heading and shingle mill was on
Lt. Col. Wm. Nicoll
Lt. Col. Wm. Nicoll
Peter C. McLean
Peter C. McLean
Lt. Col. Wm. Nichol
Peter C. McLean
James E. McLean
1908, 1909, 1920, 1921
Rev. Dr. Thomas Wardrope, son of Thomas Wardrope of Lot 35 F. Con. 9, was one of the first students
at Queen’s College,
Rev. John Little and Rev. Andrew Little, sons of John Little, Lot 28 R. Con. 10.
George Martin, son of James Martin
Justice of the Dominion of
son of Andrew Scott,
As well as the above, there have been many nurses, teachers, bankers and office workers.
first post office between
1850, a passenger and
mail coach service was set up, leaving
R.R. No. 1, Puslinch was established April 1, 1913. This route brought mail to Badenoch for the first time. R. Maddaugh was the first courier, making the 21 mile trip, travelling north on Concession 9 and south on Concession 10, six days a week. Since then mail has been delivered by George Butcher, Oliver Monkhouse, J. A. McPherson and Wes Winer.
first mention of a telephone in
On August 14, 1879, Charles Raymond signed for two hand telephones for use between his office and workshop.
In 1880, when the Bell Telephone Co. took over, there were eleven subscribers.
Early in the 1900’s, a
rural line was built along the
In 1925, Hydro Electric Power Commission first began supplying power along Highway No. 6.
In 1948, Badenoch homes received hydro power for the first time.
To the early settlers the forests were a challenge. They had to be cleared before farming could be carried on. Every spare moment was spent in this seemingly endless task. The towering pines and lordly maples fell before the woodsman’s axe. Rails were split and saw mills set up. Now, over a hundred years later, we can see the important part trees play in our economy as a protection against erosion and drought as well as a cash crop. Now our thoughts and actions turn to replacing and conserving our forests. Conservation originally had to do with the protection of forests because of their importance as a source of revenue to the province, but allied with this, we now have the problems of forest management, wildlife and the protection of source areas of rivers and streams.
In 1945, one hundred acres, F. Lot 31, Concession 10 were purchased from Wm. Black. The rear fifty acres of this lot was bush and swamp land with a spring-fed creek running through it. The front half has been reforested with spruce, pine, and a few deciduous trees. In 1946, fourteen thousand trees were planted; in 1947, five thousand trees, and in 1949, three thousand trees. These trees have grown well and provide homes for many kinds of wild birds and animals. Hunters from far and near spend many enjoyable hours here.
Flood control is considered the responsibility of the community of the stream valley, so the Conservation Authorities Movement was born. In the past 18 years, 30 Authorities have been established, with a total membership of 438 municipalities and an area of 19,535 sq. miles. One of these was The Twelve Mile Creek Conservation Authority, which was established by Order in Council on June 12, 1958.
In 1960, several potential reservoir
sites were examined and described in The Twelve Mile Creek Conservation Report
Mountsberg conservation site is
located on a tributary of the Twelve Mile Creek which rises in Badenoch F. Lot
29 Con. 10 and runs through the section before entering
A dam 12 ft. high and 1300 ft. long has been built across this creek. The reservoir thus formed in 1967 will be used for flow regulation in summer after impounding the spring run‑off. It will be left empty during the winter. It is hoped that this will raise the water level on the surrounding farms and supply a constant source of water for irrigation on the farms south of the reservoir.
On August 7th, 1934, at the suggestion of Ann McLean, the Badenoch Women’s Institute was organized by Mrs. J. A. Carleton and Mrs. G. B. Richards.
The first officers were:
President, Margaret McLean; 1st Vice‑President, Velma Beaton; 2nd Vice‑President, Penelope McLean; Sec’y.‑Treas.,
Our meetings were held the first Tuesday of each month at two o’clock, unless otherwise stated. The membership fee was 25¢. The motto of the Institute is “For Home and Country”, and through the years it has been the aim of the Institute to help locally and farther afield. We sponsor a homemaker’s club and are pleased to have girls win county and provincial honours. These girls were presented with a gift from the W.I. We also give books to pupils graduating from public school.
We have always contributed to the local school by donating supplies for social gatherings, as well as money to the community centre. We have given financial aid to the local ball team and fair boards as well as to charitable organizations.
Educationally we have taken advantage of the short courses and leader training schools put on by the Department of Agriculture, Institute Branch.
are members of the Historical Society of
This being Centennial Year, we had as projects: putting the new flag in the community centre and erecting a name sign at the crossroads.
celebrated several anniversaries, the last being our thirtieth in 1964, when
previous members joined in helping to make it an enjoyable afternoon, with Mrs.
R. C. Moffat giving her usual stimulating talk. Corsages were presented to guest speakers and
an anniversary cake was cut by Mrs. Murray
Also in connection with this celebration, a life membership pin was presented to Margaret McLean. Our annual bus trips have been a source of enjoyment as we visited many interesting places. The members are mostly responsible for preparing the programme of each meeting which helps bring out hidden talent, but guest speakers have been many.
the time of the earliest settlers, a competitive spirit seems to have
prevailed. There were wood sawing and chopping, sheep shearing and dipping
bees. At the barn raisings two captains were chosen and they
picked their teams for lifting and placing the timbers. The ladies set up tables to feed the men and
produced the finest in baking. The first
plowing match in this district was held on the 17th of
October, 1855, at what was known as Pinefield Farm,
the home of Peter McLean,
1899, at the Dominion Day celebrations in
Football was played around this time and again the teams were designated as North and South.
For a time hardball was played, but with no organization as of today, the games were with neighbouring communities.
the early forties, the boys turned to softball in which they have excelled ever since.
In 1954, under the guidance of the late Robt. D. Hanning, the boys won their first O.R.S.A. Championship. In 1960, they won their second “C” championship
and repeated this feat again in 1963. As
far as we know, they are the only team to have their name inscribed on the “C” trophy,
three different years. They then turned
their thoughts to the “B” trophy,
which they won in 1964. In that same
year, they won the Puslinch‑ Eramosa league
cup, as did our “Jr.” team. The O.R.S.A. is the
Boys and girls from this district began participating in 4‑H work in 1944.
Their animals and produce were exhibited in special classes at Aberfoyle Fair.
best of these went to Erin Fair,
and later still, the finest of the produce and the animals that made the
required gain, were in competition at the Royal Winter Fair in
Regular classes were held in Badenoch School for the last time in December of 1964.
January 1965, S.S. No.
9 pupils began classes at Aberfoyle. In
March of the same year, discussions began concerning establishing
the autumn of 1965, the title was transferred to
Trustees for the same are:
Ed Scott, Mac Clark, Ken McLean, Wm. Hanning, Russell Inglis
In 1915, the Puslinch Branch of the Canadian Red Cross was organized. The Badenoch group was known as the Badenoch Khaki Club. They were very active in knitting and sewing and packing boxes for the girls and boys overseas. In 1940, it was reorganized and continued along the same lines. Since the end of World War II, Badenoch has given financial assistance to the Puslinch Branch. There is a loan cupboard in Morriston where anyone in need of supplies can obtain them.
One year before July 1933, the many descendants of the early settlers of Badenoch decided that it was only fitting that we should celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the coming of our forefathers.
P. C. McLean was appointed Secretary, D. J. McLean, Treasurer.
Although one hundred years had passed since the first people had settled here, these men were almost all descendants of the original settlers.
The Centennial was held at
The above barn on
We have eight Century Farms, namely:
Peter J. McLean with the 5th generation
Alex McLean with the 4th generation
Duncan MacEdward Family with the 5th generation
Gordon McLean with the 5th generation
Malcolm Clark with the 5th generation
to 1877, this lot was occupied by a Mr. Tate. According to the 1877 atlas, a Mr. Fowler
lived on this property. Around 1877 John
McPhee bought this lot. He and his wife, Emma Dixon, had a family of 5 sons and 4
daughters. On the death of John McPhee in 1917, the farm passed to his son,
James. James married Lillian Biggs. They had a
family of 5 daughters Jean (
In 1967, the big stone house, which had been erected by John McPhee and 12 acres of land were sold to Mr. Turner. The Riddells and Mr. and Mrs. McPhee are presently erecting new homes at different locations on this property.
Robt. Ord, who was born in Berwickshire, Scotland, came to
Following the Ords, this property was occupied by Peter Clark (brother
of James on
John married Joan Hudson, and their family are Kimberly and Mathew.
Lots 29 and 30, R. 8 ‑ Century Farm
the death of John, in 1943, his son Malcolm took over the farm. He married Donalda, daughter of Donald
J. McLean. Their family, Helen, John and James are the 5th generation, and still
live on the old homestead, in the original stone house. In 1959, the MacDonald‑Cartier freeway was built, going
through part of this farm. Since then,
Grant, who came to Canada from Scotland in 1831, chose this lot for his nephew,
John Clark Jr., in 1832, Clark having remained in
George Clark married Irene McCarthy and their family are Mrs. Shepherd (Margaret), Barrie, Miss Margaret Elizabeth (Betty) Clark, Guelph; Mrs. Tompkins (Dorothy) (“Tiny”), Hamilton; Miss Mavis Marie Clark, Hamilton; and George Eric, their only son who still resides on the farm with his wife, the former Barbara Button and their children Cynthia Marie, Randell Dalgarno, Rodney Thomas, and Shawna Lee.
George Clark died June 13, 1957. Mrs. Clark resides in
Following this, Joseph and Janet Grant lived there for a period of time.
In 1925, Andrew Elliot died and in 1926 the farm was taken
over by his son John A. and daughter‑in‑law, Jennie May Elliot.
Their family are Stewart
(married Jessie Job),
Frank (married Mary Hanning),
John A. Elliott’s son, Frank bought it from him in 1948, and he and his wife, Mary, are the present owners. Their family are Ivan (married to Elaine Strong) now living in Sault Ste. Marie, and Brian, at home.
(married Mary McKenzie). Their family: John A. (married Jennie May
Barney Mast and people by the name of Gregor lived on this lot before 1866.
William Martin bought it in 1885 and he and his wife, Susan, raised their family there (Anna, Mamie, Cecil, Olive and Verna). After his death in 1952 and his wife’s, some years later, the farm was owned and operated by their daughter Olive, her husband, Hugh Lasby, and daughter Patricia.
34, R. Concession 8, purchased from the Crown by Malcolm Clark (Yeoman) in 1850 and consisted of 100
acres. After his death the farm passed
to his son, David, and
wife, Helen McKenzie. Their
family: Meldrum, who
died a young man: Annie (unmarried)
and Jean (Mrs. John House). In 1889, Wm.
Nicol bought this farm from the
Nichol had the
house on the farm dismantled and shipped to two of his sons, Wilbert and George who had homesteaded to West Riverhearst,
Peter Grant and Donald McLean went to Stahl’s house in 1832 when they were looking for a location. He directed them to the north where they secured lots on 8 and 9 Concession.
1834, he sold his lot to Alexander Nicoll. Alexander
Nicoll was born in
January 1848, Mr. Peter Edington obtained
this lot from the Crown. You will find reference to this gentleman in another
part of the book. A Mr. Jas. Macklem acquired this property in May, 1857. He sold in 1878 to John Sparkes and
Lots 37-38, R. 8
born in Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland, came to
March 1914, they moved back to Aberfoyle.
The farm was rented to a Mr. Holmes for several years. When he left, Joe Smith rented for a number of years. After the death of Geo. Lewis in 1937, the farm was bought by Joe Smith in 1940. The Smith family: John, Peggy, Loretta, Helen and
to the Atlas of the
The house was later sold to Jas. Black and moved below Puslinch on No. 6 Highway. This lot sold in 1960 together with Lots 27 and 28 to Grant Campbell, who in turn sold it the same year to a German Syndicate.
Lot 27, F. 9 and
In 1841, Peter McPherson, known as “Linny” McPherson, came to
family was Annie (Mrs.
Donald Cameron), Christina (Mrs. Peter
McLean), Margaret (Mrs.
Donald, McKenzie), Mary (Mrs.
Peter Clark), Bella (Mrs.
On the death of Duncan, Peter, who married Annie Clark, daughter of Malcolm Clark, took over the farm of his father. Another brother, John, married Annie Clark, daughter of Donald Clark. Because of ill health, Peter moved to the West. The farm was rented to Wm. McCrory for several years. He in turn rented to Jas. Clark. The farm was then sold to Peter McLean, son-in-law of Duncan McKenzie.
Duncan McLean, son of Peter came home from
Martin, brother-in‑law of Peter McLean on Lot 31,
took over this property from Donald
McLean in 1842. He had three sons, Angus, Kenneth and James. Angus married Janet McMillan, a sister of John McMillan, a framer. Their family was John and Mary. Mary is unmarried and lives in Galt. Around 1907, John Quillman bought
from the Martin family. He lived there
with his mother before marrying Fannie Elliot. There were two children, Richard and May. The Quillmans sold to Harry Munch and his wife, Harriet Atkinson. They had one daughter, Mildred (Mrs. Ben.
Donald McLean was born in Badenoch, Inverness, Scotland, 1806. He came to
Recently it has been purchased by Chas. Fatt, who now lives there with his wife, Charlotte, and son, Murray.
James Kennedy (the elder) who had four sons, William, Duncan, Alex and James, purchased the farm in 1866. Later his son, Jas. became the owner but turned it back to Jas. Kennedy Sr. in 1873, who operated it until he died in 1889. It was taken out of the Crown in 1891 for $200 by Wm. Kennedy who, in 1892, sold it to Andrew Scott (who was married to Mary McGeachy). In the same year, it was rented to Dan Kennedy for stumping a certain amount of land.
Prior to being taken out of the Crown by Jas. Kennedy in 1886 for $175.00, it had been operated by he and his son, James Jr., since 1870. In 1891, Alex. and Wm. Kennedy purchased it and Andrew Scott became the owner in 1892. It is now owned and operated by his son, Ed. Scott.
Lot 35, front Concession 9. In the early 1830’s a family by the name of Geddes lived here, also Eric Munch and Zip Parttoe, who framed the first barn raised in Badenoch. They were followed in about the year 1834 by Thomas Wardrope, a licentiate of the Church of Scotland.
Mathew Elliot immigrated to Peterborough, Canada, from Roxburghshire, Scotland in 1831, as a young lad
of nineteen. About
1835 or 36, he came to
Upon the death of Mathew Elliot Sr. in 1898, the farm passed to his youngest son, Walter. Walter married Jessie McGeachy Simpson, widow of the late John Simpson in 1896. They had one son, McMillan, and a daughter, Jessie, and a stepson, John Edward Simpson and a son, Mathew, who died in infancy.
William Simpson and
wife (Mary Watson) came
In 1856, these lots were owned by John and Wm. Martin. We note that in 1877 and 1881, parts of these lots were purchased by the Credit Valley Railway Company. Barney Mast, who had lived on the west half of Lot 33, Concession 8, purchased this property from the Martins in 1877. In April of 1896, the farm was taken over by his son, Charles. They had 2 daughters, Lou (unmarried) and Mae. They had 3 sons, Charles (m. Annie Tennant), Wm. (m. Dorothy Sirett), John (m. Grace Warren). John and Grace had a daughter, Muriel, and 3 sons, Glen Allan, Ray and Dale. They took over the farm in 1927. They rented to Thos. Hull and John Golden. In 1947, the farm was sold to Victor Mann. John Smith bought from Victor Mann in March, 1951 and is the present owner. He and his wife, Lucy (Fitzpatrick) have a son, Garry, and a daughter, Darlene. Another daughter, Donna, died at an early age.
This land was settled on by Andrew McRobbie, one of the four brothers who settled on Lots 22 and 23, front and rear of 10 Concession. He took out the patent in 1854.
Our earliest records show that in 1855, John Clark “Sr.” obtained
this property from the Crown. John sold
to Peter Clark in
1870. Peter, who was a lumberman, worked with
George McLean. They had a lumber and grist mill in Morriston
in 1856. This mill was burned in 1859. George went
to Aberfoyle and
built the present mill. In 1867, oatmeal
from the Aberfoyle mill
was sent to the
by the name of
In 1895, Wm. Kerr and his wife, Margaret McRobbie, bought Lots 27 and 28 from the Martins. Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Kerr had a family of two sons and five daughters: John W., Andrew (not married), Mary (Mrs. Robert Cockburn), Janet (Mrs. Wm. Simpson) and Elizabeth (Mrs. Donald G. Hanning), Margaret and Katherine (not married).
W. took over the farm from his father. He married Allison Henderson; their family consisted of two
daughters and three sons: Margaret,
Wm. J., Ernest (
1920, this property was bought by Alex McLean and Sons. On the death of Alex McLean in 1927, the farm was taken over
by a son, Donald J., the present owner. In 1930, he married Maude Clark, their family: Lois, Robert, (married
Jean Lowes: now living in
This lot, along with 30, was claimed for John and Alexander McLean, in 1831, by their older brother, Donald. When the brothers completed the task of clearing the land, they divided the land. Alexander took the corner, Lot 30, known as Springfield, and John took the other, Lot 29, known as Viewfield.
McLean married Isabella McPherson (daughter of
McPherson) who died
a young woman after contracting typhoid fever from a former hired man whom she
was nursing. All except John McLean
contracted the dreaded disease. Their family was Margaret (Mrs. Chris Moffatt), Annie (Mrs. John Kerr), Mary
(Mrs. Robt. Kerr), Penelope (Mrs. Dan McFarlane), Jessie (Mrs. John Hay), Elizabeth (Mrs. Fred Allison), Donald, who kept store
at Ridgetown and
Peter J. “Sr.”, who
remained on the farm. He married Catherine Lamb. Their family: Isabella (Mrs. Dr. Wm. Gillies,
J. married Agnes Cargill in 1925 and
succeeded to the farm after his father’s death in 1927. Their family is: Marjorie (Mrs. Calvin Wigood), Peter
Arnold and Ruth Catherine (Mrs.
Peter Arnold married Patricia Boyd and they, with their family, Susan, Bryan, Carol Ann and Arnold Peter, live on the homestead. This house was built in 1872. Peter J. and Agnes reside in a new house built in 1965 on the front of the old homestead.
Alexander McLean came to Canada in 1833 at the age of 16 from Badenoch, Invernesshire, Scotland, with his parents Peter McLean and Margaret Martin. Their family was: Alexander, John, Peter, George, Penelope (Mrs. Peter Grant), Janet (Mrs. Fraser and then Mrs. Cockburn), Margaret (Mrs. Jas. Hanning), Ann (Mrs. Rev. Meldrum), and Donald (m. Margaret Cameron). They cleared and settled on above lot.
He (Alexander) married Christina Cameron, daughter of Captain John Cameron and Annabella McLennan who came out in 1841 from Ullapool, Rossshire and settled near Crieff. There were nine children in this family: Dr. Peter, Annabel (Mrs. Hugh McDonald), Margaret (Mrs. Hugh Clark), Christina (Mrs. J. R. Clark), John C. (optician), Alexander, Penelope, Hannah (teacher, died in B.C.), Donald (lawyer) and Jessie (Mrs. Gilbert Cockburn).
Alexander succeeded to this farm. He was born in 1856 and died in 1927. He married Jessie Cameron from Flamboro. She was born in 1866 and died in 1959. Their family: Alexander C., Donald J. (m. Maude Clark), Peter C. (m. Gertrude Early), Kathleen (d) (Mrs. A. Hammersley, Saskatoon), Christina (Mrs. R. Sanderson), Wilfrid G. (d. 1945), Annabel (Mrs. H. Leachman), Margaret and Kenneth.
There was an Indian burying ground on this farm.
Donald McLean, born in Badenoch, Invernesshire,
Peter married Christina McKenzie and lived on Lot 31, R. 9, where his father, Donald, moved to let his grandfather have the front 100 acres, namely Lot 31, Front 9. Their family was Donald A., Duncan (m. Margaret Clark), Margaret (Mrs. D. R. Clark).
Donald A. married Emily Winder. They had three daughters, Christina (Mrs. John Clark), Stella (Mrs. Marquardt), and Alexandra (Mrs. Wm. McIntosh). When Peter died in 1905 the farm was taken over by his son Donald A. At the death of Donald A., in 1939, the farm was operated by his widow, Emily, for one year. From 1941 to 1943 the farm was rented to Malcolm Clark.
In the spring of 1944, this farm was bought by Ingle and Myrtle (Hunt) Bousfield, the present owners. Their family: Ivan and Carl (m. Audrey Skerrit). Their family: one son, Jamie and two daughters, Katherine and Karen.
In 1869, Donald McLean sold ½ acre lot on the north corner of this property to Geo. Hanning, who erected a house and blacksmith shop. He blacksmithed here for a number of years himself and also rented the shop to many others who carried on the trade. Some of these men were George Hanning, Thomas Weir, Hugh Fraser, Peter Clark and James Gilmour.
In 1904, the blacksmith closed as such and the following year, 1905, Hannings sold this property to the Wm. Kerr family. They never lived there but the house rented to many different families. Among these families were Archie Smiths, Heffernans, J. P. McPhersons in 1912, Geo. McIntosh, Johnstons, Arnold McLean.
In 1947, Mr. and Mrs. Donald G. Hanning retired from the farm to this property, which belonged to Mrs. Hanning. After their deaths, this house was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Wingrove, the present owners.
This is the first house on
Peter Grant came to
1890, Peter Grant had sold this lot to his son, John, a bachelor. His aunt, Mrs. McIntyre, kept house for him. John Grant farmed this lot until the late 1890’s when he had an
auction sale and leased to Mr. McPherson
until 1903. Mr. John Jones rented the farm until
1908. After his sale, the farm was
rented to Mr. Stewart Bruce who remained
until 1914 and on his moving to
John Grant went to live in another house on this lot across the road from Badenoch School, which had been built for “Granny Watson” and was later occupied by her son, Hugh. John Grant died September 8, 1919. In 1936, this house was sold by John G. McLean to Mr. James Watson who moved it to Arkell and today is occupied by Mr. Joseph Ellis.
1867, a large pine log cut on this farm was shipped to the World’s Fair,
farm was bought by Peter J. McLean
Sr. in 1918 and possession was taken by them in 1919, being worked from Lot 29,
Con. 9, until 1928 when his son, John George McLean, married Christina Clark and they took possession and farmed
this lot with Lot 23, Con. 9, known as the “Black Farm”, which they also owned. In 1944, they bought
1957, the Department of Highways bought this farm for building of Highway 401,
the MacDonald‑Cartier Freeway,
and also bought
June 1st, 1957,
a clearing auction sale was held and on June 5th, 1957, the
The Department of Highways, taking 22 acres of the farm for the new highway, sold the balance of the property. Approximately 30 acres were landlocked on the east side of the new highway and was sold with abutting Lot 33, and approximately 45 acres with the buildings on the west side of new highway was sold to Mr. Ingle Bousefield in 1963. While the Department still owned this property, the house had been rented to Mr. Roy Moore and later to Mr. and Mrs. Calvert Kitchen (Annabell Stokes), who still reside there. Their family: James, Morriston; Edgar, Douglas and Lois at home.
Mr. and Mrs. John G. McLean have two sons, Ronald John McLean and Bruce Clark McLean. Ronald moved to Aberfoyle and lived with his parents until his marriage to Barbara Joan Skerritt. They built a new house in Aberfoyle in 1961 and live there with their three children, John Cameron, Maxine Joan and Bonnie Jean. Bruce, while still living on the farm married Helen Margaret Laking and they lived five years in Morriston and then moved to 329 College Ave. E. Guelph, where they live with their four daughters, Barbara Helen, Catherine Anne, Donna Marie and Sandra Christina.
In 1860, Robt.
Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Organ bought from John R. in 1910. Their family is Tom, Jack, Jim, Frank, William, Margaret, Mary and Ann (twins). In 1918, this lot was sold to Alex. McLean, who in 1919 sold to his son, Peter C.
married Gertrude Early
and they had 2 daughters, Jean (Mrs. Wm. Barker) and Betty (Mrs. E. McDonald), who have a son, Hugh; and two sons, Alexander who was killed
in action in Holland in April, 1945. Russell married Mary Hughes and lives in
1956, Peter sold to the
1860, Angus Clark obtained
this property from the Crown. Mrs. Neil Campbell, who lived on
Lot 27, Concession 10, was a daughter. A
son, James, was purported to have been Chief of Police in
In 1917, Hannings sold to Mr. and Mrs. Alex Chisholm. They had one son, Noble (m. Jessie Fielding) and two daughters, Jean (Mrs. Howitt Stewart) and Margaret (Mrs. George McConnell). In 1922, Geo. L. Sutton purchased this farm. Loammi Sutton (m. Minnie Land) and they had two daughters, Eleanor and Norma.
In 1955, Kitchens sold to John Allsop and his wife, Marjory McCready, who with their family, Janice and Neil, are the present owners.
John Kennedy, one of the first six settlers to come to Badenoch, received Lot 35, Rear Concession 9, from the Crown. In September 1868, he sold it to Robert Kennedy who married Penelope MacPherson. They had one son, Donald and one daughter, Mrs. Donald Hanning.
James Simpson bought this farm in April, 1883. He married Marjorie Clark. They had three daughters, Mrs. Duncan MacEdward, Badenoch; Bess and Marjorie of Guelph; and five sons, William of Brantford, James of Guelph, Peter of Flint, Michigan, John who died in infancy and Donald who remained on the farm.
Lauchlan Kennedy was one of the first settlers to come to Badenoch. He settled on
In 1928, Ernest Kitchen of Morriston bought the farm and sold it the same year to McMillan Elliot. Tenants during Mr. Elliot’s ownership were: Bill Mast, the Parchems, Bob Kennedy, Orren Buttenham and Carl Wingrove.
Lots 37 and 38, Con. 9
the year 1833, Wm. Clark with his family, and John
Peter McLean, Wm. Kennedy and
families arrived in Badenoch Settlement, Puslinch, to take up land. Wm. Clark chose
the year 1853, the
In the year 1914, Mrs. Margaret Burdon purchased
In the year 1917, Mrs. Margaret Burdon disposed of the land consisting of 127½ acres more or less to John A. Elliot, who had possession until the year 1957. John A. Elliot in the year 1957 disposed of the property to Clayton and Kathleen Warner. In the year 1959, it was disposed of again to Mary McPhail and June R. Andrews, and at the present they are the owners.
Lot 38, East Con. 9, Puslinch, consisted of 27½ acres, more or less, which is known as a gore.
Margaret McCormack bought from N. Dyment Year‑1882
Angus Martin bought from Marg. McCormack Year‑1898
Margaret Burdon bought from Angus Martin Year‑1914
Alex McLean obtained this lot in 1854 from the Crown. In 1856, he sold half of it to his brother,
Peter. In 1858, according to records of
the present owner, Alex McLean
Jr., the first mentioned Alex gave the Council a right‑of‑way opposite this property
in order to bypass “
McLean, for the roadway on the front of his property, received $20.00. The property passed to Donald James and now to his sons, Gordon and Jas. D. For the corner taken from
27, Front Concession 10, Puslinch, was taken from the Crown by John McLean in
1844 and owned ever since by his direct descendants. John McLean was born in 1780 and his wife, Margaret McPherson, was born in
1782. They were married in 1820, and
lived in the
Marjory married John Buchanan and
they lived in
Campbell was born
in Invernesshire, Scotland,
settled first in N. Easthope and later
in Puslinch, and was one of the early settlers.
Their family was Archie,
Donald died in
1934, the farm passed to Wilfrid D.
He married Olive Arrowsmith and
they had one daughter, Barbara,
(Mrs. Ed. Crimless).
In 1951, Wilfrid sold
the farm to Donald
G. Hanning and moved to
The farm was operated by the Hanning family until the death of Robert D. in 1955. The farm is now owned and operated by Ivan, a grandson of Donald G. Since the Hannings took over the farm, there have been several tenants in the house. At present, Mr. and Mrs. Mike Gulak and family live in the house.
At one time a sawmill operated on this farm.
Donald McLean on Lot 31, R. Concession 9, picked for his brother, George, Lot 29, F. Concession 10. George did not want to farm so the property was transferred to their sister, Margaret (Mrs. Jas. Hanning). Their family: Donald, George, Joseph, James, Peter, Pennie (Mrs. John Stewart), Margaret (Mrs. J. McFarlane), Agnes (Mrs. Malcolm Kennedy), Jennie (Mrs. McDonald) and Mary Ann (Mrs. Donald Campbell). The farm was owned by Joseph Hanning and later by George Hanning. In 1904, this farm was bought by Thomas Foley. His mother, father and brothers, Wm., John, Fred, who was killed overseas in the first world war, and nephews Charles and William lived with him.
In the spring of 1953, after the death of Archie, the farm was sold to Wm. Forbes and son, John. John and Jean had a family of four sons and three daughters. Wm. Forbes sold the property in 1964 to Mr. Day. Mr. Day sold the buildings and twenty acres to Wm. Hammond and Mary (McManus), the present owners. Their family: Billie, Richard, Shawn and Jennifer. The remainder of the farm still belongs to Mr. Day.
Lot 30, Concession 10 was bought by John Martin and his wife, a Miss McPherson, from the Crown in 1873. On his death, Mrs. Martin and her son, John, lived on this farm until her death. Then in 1880, their son, Duncan Martin and his wife, Mary Smith came into possession of it.
1906, Lot 30, Concession 10 was bought by Thomas Foley and in 1940 was purchased by Mr. and
Mrs. Thomas C. Amos of Moffat; Mrs. Amos, the former Marjorie Buchanan, being a
direct descendant of the Martins. In
1944, it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. John G. McLean and was in their
possession until 1957, when it was sold to the Department of Highways of the
Campbell was a
shoemaker, and lived on this lot where the
The Martin family was 5 daughters, Jessie (Mrs. Bruce), Mary (Mrs. Buchanan), Maggie (Mrs. Trimble), Ellen (Mrs. D. J. McLean), Effie (Mrs. Donald Stewart). Mrs. McLean still lives in the section, and 4 sons, John, Donald, Neil and James, still live in the section.
1915, Thomas Foley bought
this farm. Wm. Black and wife, Mary (Buchanan) bought
1858, Robert Forbes obtained this lot from the Crown and
sold to Alex McLean
in 1897. Wilfrid McLean
became the owner in 1930. In 1963, the
1859, this property was acquired from the Crown by Robert Forbes, who in 1900 sold to Alex McLean.
In 1930, it was taken over by Peter C. McLean. The
Lots 34 and 35, F. Con. 10
1833, Linderman’s Mill
was built by Daniel Linderman and his father, John, on
In 1900, J. P. McPherson purchased these two lots and rented the heading mill. He married Sarah Burdon. They had 3 daughters, Margaret, Catherine and Annie. After the death of Sarah, he married Margaret McDonald.
In 1912, Donald G. Hanning bought the farm. He married Elizabeth Kerr. They had 3 sons, William, Robert (d), and Donald of Port Credit; and 3 daughters, Phyllis (Mrs. Orrin Buttenham, Rockwood), Grace (Mrs. Finn, Milton), and Mary (Mrs. Frank Elliot of Badenoch).
The Gilmour family lived in a house on the jog of sideroad No. 35 between Con. 10 and 11. Andrew Gilmour married Elizabeth MacEdward. They had nine children: Mary (Mrs. Wm. Frank), John, James, Jean (Mrs. Arthur Brooks), Andrew, Edith (Mrs Joseph Frank), Elizabeth (Mrs. Wm. Taylor), Cassie (Mrs. Charles Watson), Elsie (Mrs. Edgar Boucher).
first house burned and was rebuilt in 1902.
After the Gilmours moved to
Malcolm Kennedy purchased the farm in 1883. He was married to Agnes Hanning, They had no family. In 1900, they sold the farm to Thomas Beaton and retired to Morriston. Thomas Beaton married Mary MacEdward. They had three daughters, Myrtle (Mrs. Elmer Zimmerman, Milton), Mrs. George Rollins, and Velma, R.R. No. 2, Campbellville.
The farm was purchased by the present owner, Robert Hunter, in 1953. They have two children, Leslie and Joan.
It is thought that an Indian Burial Ground was located here, as many Indian relics have been unearthed.
Mr. and Mrs. William Finlay purchased 10 acres and built a home here.
He had 4 sons, Donald, James, John and Thomas, and 4 daughters,
Mrs. Donald Kennedy, Mrs. James Kennedy, Mrs. James Gordon and
Mrs. James Martin. He lived with his
son, James, who received the Front of
This is one of the few farms in Badenoch that has remained in the possession of one family. The present owners are the fifth generation to have lived here, and their four great grandfathers, Lauchlan Kennedy, James MacEdward, William Simpson and Donald Clark were all early Badenoch settlers.
James MacEdward married Mary Kennedy; they built their stone house in 1862. They had 4 sons and 3 daughters. Duncan, who went to California; William, who moved to Muskoka, James to West Flamboro, and Alexander who remained on the farm, Mrs. Andrew Gilmour, Badenoch, Mrs. John MacFarlane, and Mrs. Rory Murray, Minnesota.
married Catherine Kennedy in April,
1876. They had 3 daughters and one son:
Mrs. Thomas Beaton, Badenoch; Mrs. Albert Hewins, Mountsberg; Mrs. Alex MacIntyre,
In 1912, Alexander built a second house on the farm, where they lived until 1938. Since then the house has been rented to John Mast, Ray Collard, Wynn Taylor, Vic Sheverman, Angus Ainslie, Cal Kitchen, Ken Stokes and Don Stokes.
Lot 26, R. 10 and
first records note Jas. McLaren and
his wife Margaret Stewart lived on this
property. They had a family of three
sons and four daughters: Peter (m. Mary Anderson), Mary (m. Walter Lillico), Kenneth (m. Annabel Harmer), Catherine and Margaret (unmarried), Jos. in Chicago and Helen (m, Jos. Little). He sold the farm in 1883 to John McKenzie and moved to Drumbo. John McKenzie married Annie Clark (daughter of Donald Clark) in 1880. They lived first on Lot 24, but moved to
In 1917, John McKenzie sold to his son‑in‑law, R. T. Amos and moved to Moffat, where he died in 1933.
R. T. Amos sold to Mr. McCallister in 1944 and moved to
Lot 27, R. 10 and
Dougald Campbell and wife, Mary, came to
In 1866, Neil married Helen Clark (daughter of Angus Clark); they had a family of
five daughters and three sons. Their
family: Jessie (Mrs.
Neil Campbell, Luchnow), Ellen (Mrs. Archie Smith), Mary (Mrs. Angus Martin), Katie (Mrs. W. Clark,
1922, at the death of Neil, age 82, the farm was taken over by Dougald; Margaret, Peter
and Angus lived with him. They retired
the Atlas of 1877, we note J. Little on this property.
Two sons, Rev. John Little served in
In 1957, they sold to the present owner, Mr. Cryderman, who has developed fish ponds and a hatchery on what is known as Rainbow Ranch, this being the headwaters of the 12 Mile Creek, leading to Mountsburg Dam.
This lot has always been part of the front lot, commonly known as a string hundred.
By the Atlas of 1877, we note the name of R. Allison.
By the Atlas of 1877, this lot belonged to A. McIntyre. Previous to 1893, Morrisons and Kennedys lived on this property.
In 1893, John Fritz, a son‑ in‑law of A. McIntyre, received the Crown deed for this property.
In 1872, Allan McDonald got this lot from the Crown.
the year 1874, Mrs. Donald MacDonald (no relation
to Allan), the
former Mary McPherson, came
1893, John MacDonald (no
relation to the above John McDonald)
purchased Lot 32 on the 10 Concession from Geo. Anderson and took up residence there with his
wife, the former Georgina Fletcher from Marybill,
away at the old homestead in her one hundred and first year on December 5th, 1966. In 1934, Donald married Ellen Tardif from Englehart. Their family
is John (m. Ruth Osburn,
On April 29, 1875, Allan MacDonald received the Crown deed. On April 16, 1881 Mr. MacDonald sold to William Cowan. In November 1901, William Cowan sold to William Moore. Mr. Moore built the house, which still stands. On February 20, 1911, William Moore sold to Thos. Buchanan, who died in November of 1940. It was left to his son, Duncan Buchanan. In 1944, the barn burned. On May 1st, 1945, Duncan Buchanan sold to Charles Inglis.
Inglis was a tenant in the house until April 18th,
1947, when Chas. Inglis sold
to Russell Inglis, who is the present
owner. Their family is Eileen (Mrs. John Cockburn,
the late 1850’s, the
Smith family came over from
James Gordon received Lot 36, Rear Concession 10 from the Crown in 1856. He married Christine MacEdward. They had one daughter, Elizabeth, who married Hugh Watson, and lived in a second house on the farm. They had three children, Hugh, Mary (Mrs. Henry) and Tena (Mrs. Elmer Gould).
present owner, James Martin, bought this property in 1912. He married Margaret McLennan. They had a family of three, Mrs. Bert Lowrey, Lindsay; Mrs. Lorne Newell,
1877, T. O’Rourke was living on this lot. Then Angus MacDonald, who came to
According to the Wellington Atlas of 1877, on Gores along the town line and Nassagaweya from Lot 26 to 38 inclusive, we find the following names: J. McLaren, N. Campbell, D. Stuart, T. Dunn, A. McIntyre, P. McLean, J. Weir, A. MacDonald, A. McLean, R. Hogin, J. Patterson and J. Peacock jointly on Lot 36, and W. Lamb on Lots 37 and 38. By the present day map, you will find different names on the various lots. Some have dwellings of which you will find an account elsewhere in the book.
Lots 33, 34 and 35, Con. 11
33, 34 and 35, Concession 11,
John Clifford’s death
in the early twenties, this
Small (m. Margaret Inglis) lives on
Lots 37 and 38, Con 11, and
In 1904, these lots were sold to Angus MacDonald.
We, the Committee, who are responsible for the publishing of this booklet, wish to extend our thanks to all those who, in any way, have helped compile this book.
Any errors or omissions are unintentional and deeply regretted. As you will understand, we have tried to cover a very large span of time, and our information is what we have been able to read, and learn from happenings, which were recorded in the past, and those which have been handed down by the older to the younger generations. Our aim has been to link the past with the present so that the future generations may know and relive the progress from the time the early settlers first set foot on the uncleared land, to the present modern age.
We hope that someone among the future generations will see fit to
continue our efforts so that those who follow may know something of the history
of Badenoch, in