The article following is provided by that
wonderful publication, the “Puslinch Pioneer”, which for over thirty years has
been dedicated to coverage of
(from the Puslinch Pioneer, v. 15, issue 3, October 1990.)
In the early fall of the year 1874, a group of men drove to the general store of Mr. Samuel Falconbridge in Aberfoyle. This was the first move by a group of people inspired by the Rev. Ephriam Clements from Mountsberg to organize a congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church. There was obviously a need for another congregation in the area, and it was on November 19, 1876 that the first service of the newly formed congregation was held in the Council Chambers of the Township Hall, with 15 members present.
The new church was on a
circuit called Flamborough of the Hamilton District of the Niagara Conference,
consisting of six congregations:
Very soon after the formation of the new congregation, it became clear that a more suitable building was needed. On October 19, 1870, a parcel of land was purchased from Joe Smith for the sum of $15, and the same day a contract was signed with Hugh Reid for the building of a church for the sum of $625.
The bricks for the church were priced at $82.50 for 11,000 bricks, and the laying of these bricks cost $25. The Dictator box stove used for heating came to $12 and the pipes for the stove were 15 cents each. The total cost of the property and furnishings amounted to the grand total of $625.
It took ten weeks to build the church, and on December 30, 1877, a service of dedication was held in the newly built sanctuary.
The oval board with the
After Church Union in 1925, the
Over the years, the congregation increased from 70 members to 81 and it became clear that more room was needed for Sunday School and midweek activities. When putting a basement under the church proved impossible, the decision was made to tear down the old church and build a new one.
It was a pleasant day in July, 1927 that the
cornerstone for the new building was laid by Mrs. John Kennedy of
On Oct. 20, 1936, on the sixtieth anniversary of the charge, the mortgage for the new church was burned, just nine years after its building.
Since 1876, Aberfoyle has seen and been part of many changes. After being in the circuit of Flamborough, Aberfoyle came to be connected with Ebenezer, Campbellville, and Moffat. In 1910, it was Aberfoyle, Ebenezer, Campbellville and Corwhin.
As part of the
Over the years, many
ministers have served the Aberfoyle congregation, many people served their Lord
In 1987 the building was sold to Peter Robinson. A farewell service was held with many former members and friends attending.
Some artifacts were moved
At the present time the building is being remodeled into a family home.